Saturday, May 03, 2008

Week One is Over!

I have completed my 1st official week here. If you watch the news or search the online news websites for the term "Guantanamo Bay", you'll have an idea as to what's been going on here lately. I really can't say any more than that... All in all it was a good week. I have learned quite a bit since being here. In some ways it's an incredibly easy job. In other ways it is one of the hardest jobs I have ever held. My two superiors are brilliant and excellent folks to be learning from.

My roomate is a nice guy who is leaving in 3 weeks. So at that point I'll probably get another roomate who will be there until I leave. The housing situation has worked out well so far.

The weekends can be leisurely...if not lonely. But there are some great people here from all walks of life and all branches of the service, which keeps it interesting. But, the workdays are quite stressful.

There are tons of iguanas around the base and it's actually illegal to make them roadkill. You can get fined up to $10K for not reporting an accident with an iguana. The Moment of the Week was interrupting 2 iguanas mate. It was actually quite disturbing to be walking along at work and to turn a corner only to be stopped in your tracks by reptilian romance -- EWWWW!

As you may conclude from what's written above, I am doing pretty well. Only 25 more weeks to go...

-K

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

KENNNNTTTTT! I am assuming I would not do well there-I further assume I would have no place in which to get a mani/pedi. Good luck hon!
Love, Kim & Preston

9:51 AM  
Blogger Kent said...

Kim, you wouldn't last 5 minutes here. It is very hot, humid, and unfortunately there are no nail salons -- how inconvenient on a military post...these people just don't have their priorities straight!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home