Sunday, August 01, 2010

Indian Country

I arrived in Montana yesterday after a very long day of traveling including a little puddle jumper of a plane. The land out here is beautiful. I kept waiting to see the mountains but there are just flat plains for miles and miles in every direction. The Indian Reservation is very different from what I expected. I had expected some formal marker declaring we entered the reservation. There was nothing just all of sudden we were in a small town. The people here are very poor. The unemployment rate is around 25%, many of the children are obese and the suicide rates/attempts have take a huge rise (a state of emergency was declared and that is how I came to be here for the next 2 weeks).

I will have the opportunity to particpate in many cultural events while here in addition to the main mission of assisting this community with the suicide epidemic. I will keep you all posted. Keep these people in your thoughts and prayers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home